Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and Administration, and plays a significant role in strengthening core global systems by ensuring the proper accounting and reporting of resources in project implementation by maintaining systems of accountability, processing accounting information, internal and external financial reporting, cash and bank account maintenance and other financial tasks as assigned in liaison with relevant Heifer departments. This person contributes to the program impact by preparing financial reports and monitoring budget burn rates for effective implementation of the programs. The Accountant assists with financial and accounting aspects of the country program office and the processing of routine financial transactions in accordance with Heifer’s policies and procedures. This position interacts with similar positions in other teams to promote consistency throughout the country and area program.
Essential Character Traits
Detail-Oriented, Positive, Honest, Dependable, Determined, Enthusiastic, Accountable, Values-Oriented, professional judgment, detail-oriented, and organized.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Accounting (60%)
- Responsible for ensuring that all transactions vendor payments are timely made and recorded
- Adequate supporting documents are in place for all transactions and in compliance to in-country/HQ policies
- Verification of bills in coordination with the responsible team for required supporting documents.
- Payment to vendors are timely made and vendor database is updated.
- Ensure arithmetic accuracy of bills, salary payment.
- Ensure timely advance payment and adjustment of country and regional office.
- Ensure that all taxes, provident fund and related deductions are made and deposited in required institutions on time.
B. Vouching of Financial Transactions (15%)
- Prepare voucher and ensuring approval on vouchers
- Calculate withholding Tax and PAYE from the payments and entering transactions in E-Banking.
- Prepare and submit pensions, maternity, and Community Based Health Insurance (CBHI) to statutory authority in stipulated time.
C. Data Entry of Financial Transactions (10%)
- Provide timely entry into Agresso with compliance to requirements and HQ apps and procedures.
D. Manage a functional and organized office filing system to ensure that the project documents and records are appropriately filed and secured for easy retrieval (15%)
- Create files for each project
- Secure monetary funds
- Effective filing system is in place in the office and transactions are serially filed.
- File financial documents appropriately in the relevant month when posted in Agresso.
- Voucher and supporting documents scanning as per guidelines.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related fields is required, plus five (5) year of experience in a Non-Profit organization or external audit. Other job-related education and experience may be substituted for all or part of these requirements.
Ability to use AGRESSO accounting software is an added advantage.
Good understanding of Accounting Principles
Strong vouching, accounting, and bookkeeping skills
Computer proficient in accounting software, ERP, word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and internet (Microsoft preferred)
Sound in English and Kinyarwanda, both spoken and written.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and integrity.
Most Critical Proficiencies
- Thorough knowledge of general financial and accounting procedures.
- Up-to-date knowledge of office technology gained through technical training and work experience.
- Ability to handle work in a timely and accurate manner with tact and discretion, as required.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism when dealing with donors, projects’ participants, staff and partner organizations
- Willingness to contribute to Heifer International’s principles of transparency and honesty
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues, both internal and external
- Requires constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintaining the confidentiality
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity
- Motivated to work responsibly with little supervision
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation