WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Utilizes understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives to communicate linkages to team objectives and work.
- Be a force for positive change: Proactively identifies and develops new methods or improvements for self and immediate team to address work challenges within own work area.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Identifies opportunities to further align individual contributions with WFP’s mission of making an impact on local communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Helps colleagues to see the link between their individual tasks and the contributions of their unit’s goals to the broader context of WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Is able to identify, support and encourage focused on-the-job learning opportunities to address gaps between current skillsets and needed future skillsets for WFP.
- Create an inclusive culture: Recognizes the contributions of teammates, and encourages contributions from culturally different team mates to recognise the value of diversity above and beyond just including it in programming for beneficiaries.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Provides and solicits ongoing constructive feedback on strengths and development opportunities to help develop individual skills, whilst also helping others identify areas for improvement.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear targets for self and others to focus team efforts in ambiguous situations (e.g., unprecedented issues and/or scenarios).
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Thinks beyond team’s conventional approaches to formulate creative methods for delivering food aid and assistance to beneficiaries.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains focus on achieving individual results in the face of obstacles such as volatile or fragile environments and/or organizational roadblocks.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes personal accountability for upholding and delivering upon team’s commitments and provides assurance to stakeholders.
- Be Decisive: Demonstrates ability to adjust to team’s plans and priorities to optimize outcomes in light of evolving directives, while also responding quickly in high-pressure environments, such as in emergency settings.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Demonstrates an understanding of when and how to tactfully engage other units in conversations on impact, timing, or planning.
- Build strong external partnerships: Networks regularly with key external partners using formal and informal opportunities to understand each partner’s unique value proposition, and to build and strengthen relationships.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Demonstrates ability to adapt engagement approach in the context of evolving partner circumstances and expectations.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Demonstrates ability to articulate to internal and external audiences the value that individual contributions and immediate teams bring to partnerships.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The position is required for an experienced supply chain officer, to help strengthen operations and staff capabilities under the direct supervision of the Head of Supply Chain. Staff member will support the overall management of Supply Chain activities both procurement of food, non- food and services, Logistics operations in supporting country office and regional operations and supply chain emergency preparedness and response. This position will ensure adequate level of accountability, supervision and business continuity of WFP operations. A candidate is expected to be a results-oriented, with good knowledge of WFP internal procedures, the candidate will be expected to demonstrate adaptive capacities in effective supply chain management and make significant contributions to planning and operations at country and regional scale. Candidates are not expected to be highly experienced in all of the below subject areas, rather have adequate experience to complete the tasks timely and effectively, while building their capacity in supply chain management. This role is an opportunity for a supply chain officer to build their management, compliance, logistics, and procurement capacity in a country office with a dynamic operation.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
Provide the oversight of supply chain work to ensure performances of the unit is at the high standard, maintain top performance in the region and globally including timely, effective and efficient delivery
- Provide advice, analytics, and contributions to integrated supply chain operations.
- Manage supply chain operations to ensure an effective and integrated supply chain approach meeting the food assistance needs and service provision requirements for partner
- Participate in the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures, in line with the global WFP supply chain strategy and regional/functional strategies, policies and plans, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Analyze regional/country context, and design and manage end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges and obtain operational optimization.
- Plan and manage implementation of innovative supply chain operations, initiatives and services to ensure timely, cost-effective and integrated approach with core activities and services and in close cooperation with key supply chain stakeholders.
- Plan, monitor and manage resources to maximize the effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Perform in-depth market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Identify and build productive partnerships with counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge and resources and build capacity to ensure coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Manage supply chain operations to ensure compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with special emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation and cost effectiveness.
- Constantly monitor the performance of supply chain operations to ensure that appropriate internal controls are in place.
- Manage service providers/vendors, transporters and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations and safeguard WFP’s interest.
- Manage accurate and timely reporting including provision of substantial analysis of supply chain activities and trends, fund management to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Manage, motivate and develop a team providing coaching, training and career guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of specific supply chain risks to enable WFP, governments and other partners to quickly respond and deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Education: Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional 6-10 years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Experience in managing an area of supply chain operations including coordination with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in implementing operational supply chain strategies in a country.
- Experience in designing and implementing supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
- Experience in managing relationships and national capacity building initiatives with UN agencies, NGOs, private sector and/or government organizations.
- Experience evaluating and selecting service providers and/or suppliers.
- Experience identifying operational risks and maintaining documentation on emergency preparedness.
- Experience in implementing approved corrective actions to improve performance and monitoring progress
- Experience supervising staff
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: French is advantage.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe other duties, skills & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience in managing an area of supply chain operations including coordination with internal and external stakeholders;
• Experience in implementing operational supply chain strategies in a country;
• Experience in designing and implementing supply chain, retail and partnership networks;
• Experience in managing relationships and national capacity building initiatives with UN agencies, NGOs, private sector and/or government organizations;
• Experience evaluating and selecting service providers and/or suppliers;
• Experience identifying operational risks and maintaining documentation on emergency preparedness;
• Experience in implementing approved corrective actions to improve performance and monitoring progress;
• Experience supervising professional staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
JOB TITLE: Supply Chain Officer
TYPE OF CONTRACT:International Consultant, Supply Chain Officer, CST Level 2
UNIT/DIVISION: Supply Chain
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Kigali/Rwanda
DURATION: 11 months renewable
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for applications: 07 December 2021, 23:59 CAT
Female applicants and qualified applicantsare especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.