|INGOBYI ACTIVITYGOLDEN PLAZA, 3rd FloorKG 546 Street 1P.O.Box 6639-KigaliTel.: + (250) 738795924Kacyiru, Kigali www.intrahealth.org|
Job Opportunity: Malaria Specialist
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we have built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The USAID Ingobyi Activity is a five-year cooperative agreement to improve the quality of reproductive, Maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) and malaria services, in a sustainable manner with the goal of reducing neonatal, child and maternal mortality in Rwanda. The Ingobyi Activity builds upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments in the health sector to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans. Ingobyi works to improve the availability, quality and utilization of RMNCH and malaria services with resilience and sustainability.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
IntraHealth hires Malaria Specialist to be based in Central Zone – Kigali, who will provide technical and program support in malaria for the USAID-funded Ingobyi Activity. The Malaria Specialist will be serving at least 5 districts per catchment area and will coordinate all malaria activities along the continuum of care from central to community. She/He will participate in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of appropriate and sustainable approaches related to malaria to contribute to achievement of project deliverables. The Malaria Specialist will be reporting administratively to the Zonal Coordinator and technically to Malaria Advisor.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Senior Malaria Specialist and the Zonal Coordinator to contribute to the strategy for and oversee the implementation of the project’s malaria prevention, diagnosis and treatment activities including facility and community case management activities, prevention of malaria during pregnancy and SBC interventions
- Conduct training of trainers on clinical skills, mentorship, Low Dose High Frequency (LDHF) approach, and Quality Improvement (QI) principles for district-based mentors/trainers.
- Provide general technical support to the MOPDD (Malaria and Other Parasitic Diseases Division) in malaria control strategic interventions: case management and malaria in pregnancy, national policies, mosquito nets, social behavior communication and surveillance/M&E. This support includes developing tools, participating in technical working groups, and providing technical leadership.
- Collaborate with Ministry of Health MOPDD, and MCCH (Maternal, Child, and Community Health Division staff to strengthen quality improvement and supervision systems for malaria control interventions
- Promote the use of indicators to monitor compliance with case management standards
- Oversee supportive supervision of trained facility and community health workers
- Contribute to the design, development and roll out of e-learning for community health workers.
- Actively participate in the preparation of the project work plan, budgets, and technical reports for submission to the line manager.
- Work with monitoring and evaluation and learning team to monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of activities/interventions
- Provide technical support on malaria issues as part of Ingobyi’s Rapid Response Team
- Document USAID Ingobyi Activity Project results and impacts in various forms, including media stories, lessons learned, case studies, etc.
- Lead all malaria technical aspects of the project in the assigned zone, including the adaptation of the latest best practices on child health and evidence-based approaches into the local context.
- Provide technical support and guidance on key program approaches for child health and malaria, including sustainable approaches to mentoring child health providers and in charge of community health workers.
- Lead efforts to translate program data and findings into programmatic guidance and policy advocacy.
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist finance staff to prepare financial forms to advance/reimburse funds for on-going activities.
- Assist finance staff to review process and reconcile payment documentation from trainers, program, technical and management staff as well as from consultants.
- Prepare and avail job-aids and training materials in coordination with the Zonal Coordinator and the procurement officer and ensure that materials and supplies reach target sites in a timely manner.
- Prepare and submit reports on child health and malaria activities to the Zonal Coordinator or other Ingobyi personnel, upon request, in timely manner. Assist with organization of meetings, trainings, field visits, events and other activities.
- Assist with other programmatic and administrative duties as required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree nursing and/or public health or other clinical disciplines.
- A valid license issued by Rwanda National Council of Nurses and Midwives, Rwanda Allied Health Professions Council, or Rwanda Medical and Dental Council.
- Additional training related to malaria or community health and project planning and management.
- At least 5 years of experience working in malaria programs in Rwanda
- Demonstrated understanding of malaria program landscape in Rwanda;
- Skills, knowledge and experience in implementation of malaria activities at facility and community levels;
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) in English and Kinyarwanda – French language skills would be added advantage.
- Hands-on knowledge and skills in designing, planning, implementing and monitoring of facility and community-based programs for fighting Malaria.
- Sound understanding of current policy developments related to malaria.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English, French and Kinyarwanda.
- Solid skills in documentation and report writing.
- Ability to travel nationally frequently.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willingness and ability to travel and to work independently with all stakeholders
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities
- Willingness to work overtime as required
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-25 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management: Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization’s exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within assigned role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’ s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’ s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Please apply by August 4, 2021
Click on the APPLY button to send your application documents:
- Your application will be sent to the employer immediately (Allowed formats: .doc .pdf .txt .docx)
- A confirmation email will be sent to you few minutes afterwards
- You can request any documents archived from our website (ex: a job description, a CV, a cover letter…)
Please bear in mind that you should never be requested to pay to get interviews, or to pass extra certifications etc…